- The only reason that people hurt others is because they are in pain themselves.
- Judging another person, even if only in your own mind, is a form of punishing that person.
- There can be no object without a subject. There can be no sound of a tree falling without someone who hears the sound. There can be no feeling of irritation without someone who feels the irritation. The object and the subject are mutually dependent.
- Every negative reaction is the result of a consciousness that does not know what to do with the disturbance that it resists.
- Have you or anyone you know ever been made more free as the result of a negative reaction?
- The task is to aware of the pain of wishing pain and suffering upon another. We don't have awareness of the feeling of revenge. Rather, we know why the feeling of revenge is necessary and justified.
- Blaming your experience of life on something outside of yourself is what it means to be spiritually asleep, not aware of yourself.
- Negative reactions end when you end your unconscious relationship with them. To do this first requires being aware of those negative reactions.
- The lower level of consciousness cannot understand mutual dependency, that one thing does not exist without the other.
- Be the first. Rather than analyzing the disturbance and then trying to figure out what should be done about the pain, be the one who agrees to experience the feeling of the pain.
- You cannot fail with your intention to see and understand something new about yourself.
- Judging yourself and judging others are the same thing. Both instances are actions that separate you from the actual experience of the moment.
Starting Over / New Beginnings